Friday, September 26, 2008

Killer Parakeets

My mother and sister, Sidney, bought the kids the best gift for their birthday -- Zoo passes. That means we get to go to the zoo anytime we want and it's something that Chloe can honestly enjoy, too. Side note -- if you ever go to a birthday party and want to know what to bring small children can I suggest something that is disposable? Paint, play dough, tape, chalk . . . My children, at least, do not need something else cluttering up their room. Most of the time they'd rather play with paper anyway. So, truly -- Zoo Passes are the best! Thank you Grandma and Aunt Sid!
Today we dropped Abigail and Mikaela off at school and Luke, Chloe, and I went to the zoo. We went to the parakeet cage first. You can walk in and the birds will land on you -- especially if you buy the $1 stick of birdseed. Usually we get there late and the birds could care less about us. So today we were going to beat everyone. We managed to get there first and the birds saw us coming. They were flying to the side of the cage while we were still outside parking the stroller. This should have been a sign. We bought our stick of food and I walked in first and Luke was supposed to follow me in. I managed to get in but as Luke tried to come in (holding the food) the birds swarmed him and landed on the stick (and his arm.) He screamed and dropped the stick (I cannot express how loud the scream was!) The rest of the birds saw their chance and went for the stick. There were at least 40 birds on the ground between Luke and me -- I couldn't get to him if I had wanted to (at least not without damaging any parakeets.) By the time I got him to step back (he wasn't coming in!) and closed the doors several birds had escaped -- they walked right out! (they did catch them and return them.) He finally got brave enough to come in but never got close to any birds. Chloe, on the other hand, loved the birds! She did her best to grab them but was, thankfully, unsuccessful.
I laugh each time I think of it.
Love to you all!
mickie

4 comments:

bettysue said...

Ha, ha, ha, !! Birds!! So, now when you want to go to the zoo, think Luke will be excited?? Ha, ha, poor baby! I can just hear him, he's loud!! Didn't seem to bother the birds though, did it! That truly was a "kodak" moment, pictures!!!!!!!

Sidney said...

Those mean old birds! On the brightside, he'll probably never beg for a pet parakeet!

debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

That's funny Mickie - poor Luke - I hope he doesn't hate birds now....ow nice that you could get out on such a beautiful day with the "little ones".

Nicole B said...

that makes me laugh!