Saturday, September 13, 2008

Abigial's New School

As most of you know, Abigail was not being challenged at the school across the street from us. So, we researched and found a Special Interest Program at another school across town. It is called "Science, Mathematics, and Technology Academy" at Morningside. It's a kind of school within a school. The work samples were great and they have the most beautiful garden where most of the work was supposed to be based. For a Science girl like Abigail this would be perfect. Plus, it was ethnically diverse -- well, she was one of the few white children but that would be good - right? Once we started school we realized that the academic rigor was not what was portrayed and to make things worse, there was a girl in Abigail's class that bullied her. Most days she would be hit or have her foot stomped on and then there was the verbal . . . Things did not improve even after speaking with the teachers and administrators. In fact, they continued to put the two of them in small groups together and to have their desks together! We just didn't know what to do.
On Thursday, Jason's mother (Gram) called and I was sharing about Abigail's days at school. She's a teacher, too -- so she understands. Anyway, Gram volunteered to pay for Abigial to go to another school (both for safety and academic reasons.) *this is kind of sweet because when Jason was little his grandmother paid for him to attend a private school as well. So, Sherri is following in great footsteps* I was very excited about the possiblilies but doubted I would be able to find a (good) school that would have a spot open at this time of the year or that would be willing to accept a new second grader into their program.
I called, researched, and asked for recomendations. . .(did I mention lots of prayer!) No place was open. I kept hearing about one school and one of the teachers at my school suggested that I just walk in and talk to them. I did and Abigail will be starting at St. Paul Lutheran School on Monday! A girl had just left and they had one spot -- Abigail's name even fits in alphabetically on the class list! I could go on and on about how wonderful this school iS but I'll let you read the website for yourself: http://school.stpaulfw.com/index.php
Another perk of the school is that it is only blocks away from The First Presbyterian Church where I teach pre-school.
I am most amazed at how genuinely nice everyone was -- very peaceful. They had some gently worn uniforms that we were able to get so she is all set for Monday. (I'll try to get picture for everyone -- maybe Monday.) I took Abigial up there to see things and meet her new classmates and when we left she said that she "just couldn't make her mouth stop smiling."
We know that God has totally paved the road for Abigail to be at this school. There were too many obstacles for it to have happened any other way. So quickly, too -- I talked to Gram on Thursday night and by Friday at noon she was set -- unheard of! Abigail told me this morning that she knows that God has done this for her and that now she knows that He is really real.
My heart is so full and I feel like I just want to give God a big hug and never let go.
Love to you all!
mickie

2 comments:

bettysue said...

GO Abigail!!! You'll do great at your new school!!!
Love you SO much!

facedown said...

i cried as i read your post. how awesome is our God! i am so glad to hear that abigail is at the place God has for her!