Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Thanksgiving


For the last many, many, many years Jason and I have celebrated Thanksgiving with his family -- usually lots of Thanksgivings driving from house to house . . . This year we stayed at one house (yea!) and celebrated with my mother's side of the family. It was such a nice day -- great food and even better company. The kids played non-stop.

When we got home we had "movie night" and ate flavored popcorn. I'm thinking that it might be a new tradition.

Jason got into our boxes of books this weekend. We have a lot of books -- it was so much fun. I was very impressed at our collection and wished we had a bookshelf so that I could easily re-read some of them. Alas, I just pulled a few loved ones and now have enough to get me through a few more weeks. If you're trying to find a good read then you might want to consider some of these -- remember these are just a few and definitely not my only favorites.


  1. The Screwtape Letters -- CS Lewis

  2. The World According to God -- Greg Johnson

  3. Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free -- Nancy Leigh DeMoss

  4. Bringing Up Boys -- Dr. James Dobson

  5. Discipline -- Elisabeth Elliot

  6. Shadow of the Almighty -- Elisabeth Elliot

  7. Passion and Purity -- Elisabeth Elliot

  8. and the Bride Wore White -- Danah Gresh

  9. The Mission of Motherhood -- Sally Clarkson
  10. The Holiness of God -- RC Sproul

Oh, and Michael Ann -- I found your Captivating book. Such an awesome book and I'm glad that it wasn't lost forever. I'm going to read it again, too.

I just finished reading Tramp for the Lord by Corrie Ten Boom. I was telling my friend, Vicki (who has been so awesome to mentor me this last year) and she shared how they had a private tour through the house/shop while they were serving in Europe and showed me a pocket watch that they had purchased from the shop. Wow! Maybe someday I'll get to go there, too. I love Corrie Ten Boom like I love Elisabeth Elliot (Chloe's middle name is Elisabeth if that is any indication.)


Love you!


mickie

5 comments:

bettysue said...

I've read ALL of Corrie's books, and at one time had them, I've since passed them along. I think to Jim's sister! I couldn't put them down! Truly, truly, we Christians don't have a clue as to how blessed we are!
Thanksgiving was the best ever, with the minus of Jodi and Mike and family, they were so so missed, next year!
Did you go through the Christmas boxes yet? I bet the girls "oohed" and "awed", didn't they, and Luke was probably looking for something sweet to eat!!
Love you, it was great!

1literatimommy said...

Love the popcorn and movie night transition. That is so cool! Today, Molly was typing on her "lap top". I asked her what she was doing, and she said she was emailing Mikaela and Luke, her sweet cousins! So funny! We missed you guys, but look forward to it next year.

bettysue said...

Oh, how could I forget, I missed Sid and Matt too!

debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

It was a great Thanksgiving, and it was so great to have you and the family! Of course my favorite part is when the kids all play together and have a great time, I hope the cousins will always be close! What a great family we have - now.....if only Sid and Matt get back to TX. Maybe next year we'll have everyone here!!!!!

Sidney said...

I'm glad to know I rank high on your thought of memory mother! Flavored popcorn sounds delicious!! might have to borrow your books when I move back!