Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween




On Friday, Mikaela had a Halloween Party at her "school." The parents did it up well -- pizza and Krispy Cream doughnuts decorated like pumpkins. Then they did a parade where the parents would pass out candy and they got to trick-or-treat. She got so much candy that she was able to share with her brother and sister. Luke was even caught in the closet with her bag and she still had some left over! Mikaela was a cheerleader. She wore my cheerleading uniform from when I was in the 5th grade. Scary.


We have always done Halloween -- either at a church or more recently in our old neighborhood. This year we opted out and spent a quiet evening at home toasting pumpkin seeds and enjoying a nice dinner and dessert. My aunt had a Halloween party today and I am sure it was tons of fun. She promised it would be full of really scary stuff. She did introduce me to my first Haunted House as a child -- so I'm sure it was. Instead we went to the Kimball Art Museum to see the Impressionist paintings.


I've loved the Impressionists since I was in High School/College and was excited to see them in person. I was looking forward to introducing my children to them. This weekend was the last time the collection would be in Ft. Worth and we ended up joining all the other procrastinators (and there were a lot!) Parking was crazy but we ended up with a good spot. I heard someone say as we were walking in that the line for tickets was about 45 minutes -- looking at the line I believed them. As we were making our way to the line one of the employees told me to go to the members only line and tell them that he sent me. Wow, he must have felt sorry for the woman with four small children and a stroller. We went to the line and a lady questioned if we were members. I explained what "John" had told me and she looked at me and then passed me two (free) tickets and directed me where to go. Such generosity! I'm very impressed with the employees at the Kimball! We made our way through most of the collection but it was really too crazy to enjoy much. I think the kids, especially Abigail, got a good introduction and I got to see some of my favorites paintings up close. Nice day.


Love to you all,


mickie

3 comments:

Sidney said...

What an adorable cheerleader!! The museum sounds like a blast. I'm sure that beat passing out candy!

bettysue said...

Wow, Mikaela is wearing your cheerleading uniform?? Where in the world have you had it stored ALL this time? Good grief, that's the "good stuff" mama!
Isn't she just adorable!! Why am I not surprised that Luke found the candy, that boy has a sweet tooth!! I'm glad the kids got to go see something different, at Kimball, and glad you got treated with VIP treatment!! At least in the line, I'd give up my place too for a lady with 4 small children!!
Love you so much!!

debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

I can't believe that Impressionists is your favorite art - it's mine too. Jodi has taken me to several of them - and they are all so worth it. We used to take Jackson too - I wonder how much of it is still in his head...
I'm putting you down for Halloween next year - it's definately on. I'll make a few changes to get some of the kinks out...but we did miss you.