Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Hate Fundraisers!

I've been in school way too long. If you think about it -- I've pretty much been there in one form or another since I was five years old. I remember doing my first fundraiser at Plemons when I was in fourth grade. (My sister and brother loved going door to door to sell cantalopes (sp?)-- I didn't inherit their business gene.) As a teacher, I would cringe every time they would take time out of my teaching day to do an assembly where they could get the kids all excited about earning junk if they would just sell ________ to their family. I felt guilty about passing out the packets to the kids because it made me feel like I was a part of the whole system. If I had the money, I'd just donate the 40% to the school instead of getting some magazine that I don't have time to read. I've always been able to ignore it (pretty much) for Abigail. But now that she's at the new school they've got me cornered. Next week, they are having a Walk-A-Thon. It's during the day so all the students have to attend (and they let out early, too. A real pain!) So, if Abigail goes to school that day she will be walking and if she doesn't then she'll be counted absent. Ugh! I hate for her to walk for no reason. They got me! So, if you would like to sponsor Abigail in the Walk-A-Thon (the money will go to buy Accelerated Reader books in the library) then let me know. She's walking next Thursday and has to turn in the money the beginning of December.
Oh, and if you're in the mood for a magazine subscription then she's selling those, too. I'm starting to think that private schools are worse than the public ones!
Love to you all!
mickie

7 comments:

bettysue said...

Ha, ha, Daddy always called it door to door begging! We will, what do we need to do. And I need a magazine, Dog World, or Dog Fancy, either.
Ha, ha, you're right though, you HATED to sell things!

debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

I hate funraisers too, but for Abigail I could use a mag. I feel for you!

debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Mickie,

When I was the "supt", I required at least 40% profit and the product sold had to have a comparable price with local retail stores. I, too, usually donate instead of buying the product. Debbie and I will make a contribution. When will we see you again? Or how about giving our donation to Cathie. She can give it to you for Abigail.

Bobby

The Brown Family said...

Ahh, you guys are awesome! If you want a mag, tomorrow is the last day. You have to go to www.qsp.com and after ordering enter BRO1 for her ID. If you want to do the Walk-A-Thon then just tell me how much (per lap/max amount) and I'll enter it. We'll see you when we return your tent or at least Thanksgiving (we should be here this year!) and she can collect then.
Gracias,
mickie

Sidney said...

Ok I tried to find her school and the ID didn't work. Email me how to do it and I"ll get a mag! Love you!

1literatimommy said...

I will donate, Mick! Can you email the stuff? I would like a magazine.

bettysue said...

I can't get through to order a magazine, how do I do it??? Step, by Step!